Content marketing has become an essential strategy for brands looking to attract and engage audiences. However, producing high-quality, optimized content at scale can be challenging. This is where automated content generation comes in.
Automated content generation refers to the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and natural language generation (NLG) to algorithmically produce written content. Rather than relying solely on human writers, brands can leverage automated tools to assist with content creation and publishing.
The benefits of automated content generation include:
- Increased output – AI tools can produce content far faster than human writers, allowing you to scale content production.
- Cost savings – Automated writing reduces the need for dedicated writers and content teams.
- Consistent quality – Algorithms generate content based on proven templates and structures.
- Personalization – Content can be customized for different audience segments and use cases.
- Optimization – Data and analytics inform content models to improve engagement over time.
According to one survey, 49% of marketers are already using some form of AI content generation. The technology is becoming a core component of content strategies.
This guide will explore everything you need to know about leveraging automated content generation, including:
- How automated content creation works
- Key tools, features and capabilities
- Implementing an automated content workflow
- Benefits, risks and limitations
- The future of AI-powered content production
Let’s start by examining exactly how algorithms are able to research, write and optimize blog posts, social media updates, and other marketing content.
How Does Automated Content Generation Work?
Automated content creation relies on natural language generation (NLG) and artificial intelligence to algorithmically produce written text. But how exactly does this technology transform data into blogs, articles, and other content?
Natural Language Generation
NLG systems apply computational linguistics and big data analytics to automatically create coherent, natural sounding content. The process commonly involves:
- Structuring Data – Information is collected and organized based on the desired content format and audience needs.
- Text Planning – The system outlines the content sequence, structure flow using AI algorithms.
- Sentence Generation – Machine learning models generate natural sounding sentences based on templates and linguistic rules.
- Post-Editing – The raw computer-generated text is refined and optimized to improve readability.
By leveraging large datasets and adaptive deep learning models, NLG systems can handle content research, writing, and editing autonomously.
The Role of AI In Automated Content Generation
Advances in artificial intelligence drive the sophisticated natural language capabilities of automated content creation tools. Specifically:
- Machine Learning – Algorithms get better at generating content through continuous training on sample data.
- Neural Networks – Interconnected AI models identify patterns and mimic the content creation process.
- NLU (Natural Language Understanding) – This enables analysing text for contextual meaning and sentiment.
Together, these AI technologies allow systems to research topics, structure narratives, and create human-like content tailored to a brand’s needs.
Putting It All Together
The automated content process combines NLG, NLU, data analytics, and AI to:
- Ingest content themes, guidelines, and reference materials
- Conduct research and outline content
- Produce complete drafts meeting brand requirements
- Refine and optimize the output for engagement
This enables efficiently producing high volumes of customized content at scale.
Now let’s look at the various types of marketing content that can be automated.
Types of Automated Content Generation
Automated content generation tools are versatile enough to produce all types of marketing content, including:
AI writing assistants can research topics, outline sections, and write complete blog articles from scratch. This includes optimizing for SEO keywords.
Social Media Posts
Automated tools allow scheduling and publishing large volumes of social updates across platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
Automated copy can power portions of, or entire website pages like “About Us”, services/product pages, and blog landing pages.
Advertising/ Marketing Copy
Algorithms draw insights from data to generate optimized copy for PPC ads, Facebook/Instagram ads, website banners, etc.
Automated content helps rapidly produce engaging, on-brand email newsletters tailored to different subscriber segments.
Tools can transcribe audio, research topics, and outline scripts optimized for video consumption.
Detailed and converting product/service descriptions can be auto-generated and customized for ecommerce sites.
Nearly any marketing content can be created algorithmically once the appropriate machine learning models are developed.
Now let’s explore the many benefits automated content provides compared to purely manual processes.
Benefits of Automated Content Generation
Automating content creation with AI delivers numerous benefits that boost productivity, efficiency, and performance:
Increased Output and Scalability
- AI content tools can produce up to 10X the volume of content that humans can manually.
- This solves the “content gap” issue – when demand exceeds your team’s output capacity.
- Content production scales along with your strategy instead of hitting a bottleneck.
Cost and Time Savings
- Automated writing reduces the need for dedicated writers and content teams.
- Algorithms work tirelessly at high speeds, saving substantial time vs. manual methods.
- This results in lower costs and resources required for content creation.
- NLG analyses engagement data to identify best performing content models.
- Algorithms constantly improve and refine content to increase clicks, conversions, etc.
- Automation provides insights that are difficult to uncover manually.
Brand and SEO Consistency
- Templates ensure on-brand messaging and vocabulary across all content.
- AI tools can optimize content for target keywords and intent.
- Allows efficiently producing content at scale that adheres to guidelines.
- Automated content can be tailored for different segments and use cases.
- Algorithms craft content customized for each user’s preferences and context.
- This creates a more targeted, engaging experience with less effort.
In summary, content automation supercharges output while optimizing for relevance – a win-win combination.
Next we’ll look at some of the risks and challenges that should be considered.
Potential Risks and Challenges With Automated Content Generation
While automated content creation offers many benefits, there are some limitations and risks to consider:
Duplicate or Thin Content
- Since systems can generate pages rapidly, duplicate or unsatisfying content can be created without oversight.
- This can negatively impact user experience and search engine rankings if not managed properly.
Need for Governance
- Automated tools require guidelines for topics, branding, keywords, and more to produce aligned content.
- Without proper strategy and governance, content may veer off course.
- Computer-generated text can sometimes lack nuance, creativity, and the “human touch” compared to writer-created content.
- Heavy automation may not work for content that benefits from highly creative messaging.
Editing Still Required
- Algorithms aren’t fool proof – inconsistencies, grammar issues, and nonsensical text can still occur.
- Human review and editing is crucial to refine automated drafts before publishing.
- Relying too heavily on automation raises concerns over AI bias and threat to human livelihoods.
- Ethical use of automated content versus misuse, plagiarism, and deception must be monitored.
The key is finding the right balance between automation and human creativity tailored to your content needs and audience. When implemented strategically, automated content drives value while mitigating the risks.
Next let’s explore some leading tools for AI content generation.
Top Automated Content Generation Tools
A number of AI-powered writing tools have emerged to automate various content creation tasks. Some leading options include:
- Jasper offers an advanced automated content writing assistant.
- It provides SEO optimization, custom content modeling, and multi-paragraph narrative generation.
- Integrates with WordPress, Shopify, Twitter, and other platforms.
- Copy.ai specializes in long-form blog writing using NLG technology.
- It creates outlines based on keywords and generates complete articles.
- The tool produces remarkably human-like content and optimizes for engagement.
- Phrasee optimizes subject lines and ad copy using AI techniques.
- It A/B tests variations of computer-generated text for optimum performance.
- Specializes in short form copy for emails, ads, social posts.
- Persado generates emotionally-intelligent marketing copy and content.
- It analyzes emotional resonance in text to refine word choice and phrasing.
- Mainly focused on digital marketing content optimization.
There are many other content automation tools available to evaluate based on specific use cases and budget. Most offer free trials to test the quality and capabilities. Now let’s go over some key considerations when selecting an automated content tool.
How to Select the Right Automated Content Generation Tool
With the growing number of AI writing assistants available, it’s important to assess which one best fits your needs. Here are some key criteria to evaluate:
Content Customization and Control
- Look for a platform that gives you training control to tailor content models.
- Ability to define content guidelines, workflows, and permissions.
- Customizable AI will produce more aligned, on-brand content.
Quality of Generated Content
- Review samples of computer-generated drafts across different content types.
- Assess if the output meets your standards for topics, style, and keywords.
- Prioritize natural-sounding content with minimal editing needed.
- Consider what systems you need to integrate like CMS, CRM, social media, etc.
- API access for custom integrations is ideal for automated workflows.
- Prebuilt integrations minimize setup work.
Pricing and Plans
- Evaluate pricing models – free, monthly fee, pay per word generated.
- Factor in costs vs. your current content production expenses.
- Don’t overpay for features you won’t utilize. Seek scalable plans.
Ease of Use
- The solution should have an intuitive interface and helpful documentation.
- Look for features like WYSIWYG editors, drag-and-drop workflow builders.
- Less training/setup time lets you maximize ROI faster.
By scoring tools across these criteria, you can determine the best fit to meet your specific use case, budget, and needs. This evaluation sets you up for effective implementation. Let’s now go over best practices for rolling out automated content workflows.
Implementing Automated Content Workflows
Once you’ve selected the right automated content tool, here are some best practices for implementation:
Develop Quality Templates and Guidelines
- Take time to create optimized AI writing templates that act as training data for the tool.
- Provide clear guidelines on branding, formatting, SEO, topics, and linguistics.
- This results in higher quality computer-generated drafts requiring less editing.
Establish Workflows and Collaboration
- Map out your content workflow integrating automation at the optimal stages.
- Implement collaboration between AI tool, writers, editors, and other teams.
- Technology and people work together to maximize productivity.
Iterate and Optimize Over Time
- Treat initial roll out as a pilot to identify improvements.
- Use analytics from the tool to continuously refine content models.
- Automation gets better with iteration – build on what works.
Ongoing Maintenance and Governance
- Audit automated content regularly for quality and consistency.
- Update guidelines as needed based on performance and editorial feedback.
- Maintain responsible oversight of how the technology is utilized.
Balance Automation With Human Creation
- Don’t fully replace your human writing capacity even if possible.
- Maintain creativity and nuance through writer-created content where relevant.
- Let algorithms handle repetitive, high-volume content while writers focus on high-value projects.
When executed strategically, automated content generation drives productivity while preserving quality. Now let’s look ahead at where this technology is heading next.
The Future of Automated Content Generation
Automated content creation powered by AI is still in the early stages with ample room for advancement in capabilities. Here are some exciting developments on the horizon:
More Personalized and Customized Content
- Algorithms will continue getting better at tailoring content to individual users.
- Granular personalization at scale will be possible based on diverse datasets.
- Content custom-built for niches and segments will improve engagement.
Integration of Rich Media
- NLG systems will evolve to incorporate multimedia like images, video, audio, and graphics seamlessly into automated content.
- This will result in more dynamic, interactive content experiences.
Improved Grammar, Accuracy and Style
- Underlying language models will advance through techniques like self-supervised learning.
- This will enable more human-level grammar, factual accuracy, and style.
- Expect computer-generated text to become largely indistinguishable from human writing.
- Automation will integrate further across content technology stacks and business systems.
- Entire workflows from ideation to distribution will become increasingly automated.
- This frees up creators for big picture strategy and oversight.
The technology is poised to drive a generational leap in marketing productivity and performance. But to maximize these benefits, maintaining responsible human guardrails will be critical as adoption accelerates.
Conclusion and Key Takeaways
Automated content generation presents an immense opportunity to scale content production and optimization. Core highlights covered in this guide include:
- AI and natural language generation can autonomously research, write, and refine content.
- Automation increases output, saves costs, and improves optimization.
- A wide range of content types from blogs to ads can be produced algorithmically.
- Leading tools make it easy to get started with AI writing.
- Implementing automation thoughtfully balances human creativity and productivity.
- Ongoing advances will allow even more sophisticated automated content.
The bottom line is that thoughtfully integrating artificial intelligence into content strategies empowers brands to efficiently engage audiences and support business goals.
Automated creation will become a competitive necessity as the technology continues maturing. By starting to build competency with AI-generated content now, brands can lean into this future and maximize its potential – while avoiding the pitfalls.